Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Can't Swim In The Christianity Pool Without My Water Wings!!

At the Career Center, we have little breaks to simulate lunch breaks at a real time job. Well, I usually spend mine either hanging out with my friend of shorter stature, or playing Halo, but since I can't play that due to Lent, I've decided to spend it looking at the news and current events. Well, the other day I was reading through Fox News, and I saw a story that shocked me. In 19 years, the amount of people who claim no religion has doubled from 8.2% to 15%.

It makes me wonder, how? There are more churches in the country than ever before and there are people all around spreading the word of GOD to those who don't know it. So what is the problem?

Well, in my opinion, (remember, opinion!) the problem is the latest 'crave' sweeping the nation. This 'crave' is affecting a lot of people I know, especially around school. Now, I'm going ahead and saying right now that I'm not singling out any church or person. Please don't get offended if you feel like I'm talking about your church because I'm not talking about any certain one.

Anyways, this 'crave' is something I like to call "Shallow Christianity" and it's an issue I have hit on in my blog several times. It's a quick jolt of GOD to carry you out through the week. People think that they can be considered a christian if they go to church for two hours a week and think that it'll last them. They went to the fun place with all the loud music, fancy lights, loud crowd, fancy speaker, and got their weekly dose of Jesus.

Now I'm not saying you are going to hell if you do this, that's not my call to make. However, I do think that you will appreciate church and life more if you chomp down right into the bible and his word and dig deep for what you are really looking for.

Let me put it for you in simpler terms. Lobster is not an easy dish for a cook to make; it takes quite a bit of effort, but I'm going to command you to make a lobster dinner for yourself. Anyone can boil a lobster though; set down a big pot filled with water, boil it, and tada! Instant Lobster meal! However, that lobster is not going to taste very good at all. Yeah, you will still get full off of it, and you did fulfill the task, but you aren't making as good a benefit as you could be. Now, if you get some cook books, study up, practice, you get better. Then next time I ask you to make a lobster dinner for yourself, you add butter, spices, maybe some vegetables, and it comes out looking crisp and fresh. You dig into it and it is absolutely delectable!

Christianity is the same way. Everyone can take a quick shot of Jesus, but it truly takes those who want to make it the best they can, to make it as perfect as possible. I'm getting tired of this self-righteous, luke warm, entertainment religion, and I'm ready to see the rise of people that really have it all figured out.

This "Shallow Christianity" also brings along spiritual immaturity. When you are spiritually immature, it's easy to get sucked into the ways of the world. A good way to test if you are ready or not is to look at your church. If you are afraid to look at other churches and experience their take on the bible, you may find yourself as immature. If a baby's mother keeps giving it breastmilk, and never lets the child experiment with solid forms of food, that child WILL NOT grow into a solid, stable human being. If you are reading this and think you might be spiritually immature, don't worry, that's ok. Go to a different church this Sunday and try to get the other three food groups in your diet, figuratively speaking.

Now, I wanna hear you input on the issue! No answer is wrong or right! Why do you think there are a rising number of athiests in America? Answers can be placed in the comments!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this really helped me out, i think i might be spiritually immature because i do go to big show churches and dont get much from it and i am losing my first pastor at my home church and i dont know what to do. i am getting into things i dont want to be in and its worrying me, thank you for this blog, you have opened my eyes and im going to Easley First Wesleyan this Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Are you stupid? The reason people are claiming no religion, is because it doesn't exist. PERIOD. What gives you the right to criticize people. You talk the talk. But i know (even though i never net you) that you fall into the worlds view. Your a teenage kid. You ask girls to have sex and fool around with you i bet.

Anonymous said...

To the first person labeled anonymous:
With all due respect, I think you're the one that is stupid. This is a great blog and it hits on a big issue within the church today. Maybe the reason it offends you is because it hits a little to close to home. And you are being a hypocrit right in your post! You get upset because you say he criticized people when you criticize him. How can you even say something like that to a person you've never met? Shame on you! JFX is one of the nicest people I have ever met and doesn't deserve to have morons who don't even know him comment on his blog by insulting him. Your judgment by the way, is way off! And one more thing...the reason people are claiming no religion is because they are prideful and don't want to follow God because of their selfish desires to serve themselves! Religion does exist! I'm sorry if this post doesn't seem out of love, but I can't sit by and let you insult a guy who is blossoming into a great man of God! Maybe if you insulted me it wouldn't be as big of a problem and I'd let it go, but I'm standing up for someone whom I stand behind and fully support!

JFX said...

The fact that even athiests are reading my blog gives me the realization that at least people are reading my views, whether they agree or disagree with them! I still love that person for their comment, and they can believe about me whatever they want to; I don't have to confess my sins to them when I die, so it's your right to have an opinion on the issue.

Anonymous said...

Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind.
-Albert Einstein

Pity Mr.Anonymous. Pity him for his hatred and his audacity. When I was a child, I acted like a child. The things we hate most are the things we are most afraid of.

If anonymous is so sure he's right, I'm sure he wouldn't mind testing a relationship with God out. It is in the name of science, correct?

We've all seen the world from the other side. Yet we stand here on the side of God. Come on, anonymous, what have you to lose if there is no rhyme or reason in existence?

You, sir, are a child; but I would love to be humbled by a true, unbiased, and open attempt at a Godly life.

Either put up or shut up anon. The choice is yours: scream like a baby, never testing anything, or approach this like a man.

JFX said...

Well, athiest, if he is right, you lose it all. That's one of the beliefs of an athiest. If we're wrong, we both lose, but if we're right, you lose. It's a lose-lose situation. And I really hate that you don't want to open your mind to what GOD has for you. There are things that GOD can provide for you that you won't even know until you open your eyes and see what he's offering. It's the best feeling in the world. It's cleansing. And even if it is fake, I'm the happiest I've ever been believing a lie, and that lie has made me a loving guy, and have a great life!