Saturday, July 12, 2008

From The Religious Questions of Charlie Alcock: Part 1

How has culture influenced you?

The culture these days says that it's all about you, forget about others. Most of the time, I have gone against this logic. However, the past year has tried to tell me to go with what everyone wants you to be. I have finally realized that I don't care how others treat themselves towards me, but that I need to lead them on a path to Christ, and stop trying to make so many friends. I need to be more focused on others' lives & trying to get them saved that worrying about if people like me or not. I couldn't care less if someone likes me; if I'm spreading the love of Christ, then I don't worry about how people see me.



What do people at your school say about Christians?

It is really hard to witness to non-believers in the Bible Belt because I know that some people have been told about Christ from the wrong people. I know they have good intentions, but some of their motives are way off. The wrong influx of people giving a false witness over and over causes some non-believers to abandon religious teachings all together. They think that you can or can't do some things as a Christian, but this is the typical non-christian reaction.



Are most people okay with your being a Christian, or do they judge you more than others?

Factoring in again that we live in the Bible Belt, most people don't think of me as being bad for being a Christian. Most think I'm just a pretty cool guy. This is the best time to show the love of Christ. If they start judging you, let them. Most of the time they just want to get a rise out of you. If you were really strong in your faith, then their comments won't mean anything to you. If you flip out at them, you are a hypocrite, and they will more that likely lose their thirst for GOD for a few, and they more than likely won't like you that much anymore either.



What do you value most in your life? (You can answer this question best by looking at how you spend your time)

Well, the Sunday School answer here is to say Jesus, but no one is that much on fire for GOD. I love my relationship with GOD, but I'm human, so I obviously won't lie to myself with the religious answer because it isn't true. Lately, I have become obsessed with my relationship with others & not a relationship with GOD. I need to have him as my main emotional priority. However, if he is telling me to work as a youth pastor (which he is), then my main priority needs to be school & trying to achieve what he has called me for, my relationship with him will shine through that.



How can you make more time to focus on your relationship with GOD?

If I cut out all these petty, earthly things, like video games or music or my relationship with others, my relationship with him will grow, just by living life. He will call me through his word without forcing anything. However, by completely resenting the gifts he gave you, you might as well dig your religious grave yourself, because you will throw his gifts away as well.



What is true freedom?

When you get to the phase when you don't need to keep going back to those things that bog you down, you have reached full salvation. However, humans aren't perfect, so we go back to those things often. When people get to the point when they see nothing wrong in their actions, that is the point when you start losing your freedom and losing your salvation. Just because someone went to jail doesn't mean they aren't ever free again, try to bounce back from those faults.

No comments: